Tuesday, August 03, 2010

I Am Here In This Challenge

I Am Here, or Light in the Darkness
mixed media, acrylic, pitt artist pen on repurposed paint chip
41/100 in 100 days creative challenge

I've been looking at all these paint chips I'm collecting, wondering what I can do with them.

Then one day, I though, hey, maybe they would be interesting to paint.

So that's what I did.

On this dark paint chip, I thought about how, even when it is dark in life, even when things are hard, we carry the potential for joy and opportunity within us. I think this is called hope, and I think this is how we make it through to the other side.
Flower and Fern
42/100 in 100 days creative challenge
acrylic, pitt artist pen, pencil, on repurposed paint chip

This one however, did not work out all that well. I think it came from lack of direction. I didn't have a clear direction in my head when I started. Or perhaps I did, but I didn't commit to it, I just kind went with what happened next.

Sometimes, that approach turns out pretty well, that "winging it". You can end up with some lovely pieces. Sometimes it does not. And you end up with a mish mosh, confused piece, like the last one.

BUT.

That doesn't matter. Because part of this intuitive approach to art is about taking that step, even if you don't know where it is going, because you are in the process of finding where you are going.

Every step/piece of art/creative expression/idea may not be genius, but it is the journey that leads you to the meaning and product that you are looking for.

The important thing is that you commit to the journey and keep going.

To make myself commit a bit more (because I know I am not committing to the degree that I could, and it is showing in my work) I am joining in with Rosa Murillo (no relation) and Robayre in their August daily challenge. That means I'm going to have to post what I am doing every day, not just once in a while. Sometimes I need a little bit of accountability so I don't slack. I guess that means I should least these also according to day. I think I'm going to have to create some sort of chart or index of my work these last few weeks. I'm getting confused.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...